Clinical Infectious Diseases Publishes “COVID Transmission in Homes, Hospitals and the Community” Supplement
A special supplement to Clinical Infectious Diseases, published alongside the August 1, 2021, issue of the journal, collects eight papers that have informed the scientific underpinning of interventions that have become key parts of the public health response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
In his introduction to the supplement “COVID Transmission in Homes, Hospitals and the Community,” CID Editor-in-Chief Robert T. Schooley, MD, FIDSA, states, “These manuscripts collectively demonstrated the importance of aerosols and presymptomatic shedding in the explosive spread of the virus and the impact of distancing and masking on preventing ongoing viral transmission.” He adds, “Once again, this pandemic has laid bare the role of societal issues in placing a disproportionate burden on members of society whose jobs and household structures placed people of more limited means in the sights of the virus at work and enabled cross-generational spread at home.”
Papers in the supplement include:
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Transmission in the United States Before Versus After Relaxation of Statewide Social Distancing Measures
- Community Transmission of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 Disproportionately Affects the Latinx Population During Shelter-in-Place in San Francisco
- Structural Vulnerability to Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Among Latinx Communities in the United States
- The Household Secondary Attack Rate of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2): A Rapid Review
- Reconsidering Assumptions of Adolescent and Young Adult Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 Transmission Dynamics
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Seropositivity and Asymptomatic Rates in Healthcare Workers Are Associated with Job Function and Masking
- Unraveling the Modes of Transmission of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) During a Nursing Home Outbreak: Looking Beyond the Church Superspreading Event
- Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) Transmission Dynamics Should Inform Policy
The supplement “COVID Transmission in Homes, Hospitals and the Community,” available online at https://academic.oup.com/cid/issue/73/Supplement_2, is supported by the Infectious Diseases Society of America through Cooperative Agreement NU50CK000574 with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
The Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA) is a community of over 12,000 physicians, scientists, and public health experts who specialize in infectious diseases. Its purpose is to improve the health of individuals, communities, and society by promoting excellence in patient care, education, research, public health, and prevention relating to infectious diseases. Learn more at https://www.idsociety.org/.
About Clinical Infectious Diseases
Clinical Infectious Diseases is a leading journal in the field of infectious diseases with a broad international readership. The journal publishes articles on a variety of subjects of interest to practitioners and researchers. Topics range from clinical descriptions of infections, public health, microbiology, and immunology to the prevention of infection, the evaluation of current and novel treatments, and the promotion of optimal practices for diagnosis and treatment. Clinical Infectious Diseases is an official publication of the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Learn more at https://academic.oup.com/cid.