Renewed commitment to prevention urgently needed to combat record high STDs
- Last year, the number of STD diagnoses reported to CDC surpassed the previous record set in 2016 by more than 200,000 cases
- 2017 marks the fourth consecutive year of STD increases
- Since 2013, gonorrhea diagnoses increased 67 percent overall, and syphilis diagnoses increased 76 percent
Continued concerns about antibiotic-resistant gonorrhea
- Lab tests show a small but growing fraction of gonorrhea samples have signs of emerging antibiotic resistance
- Over the years, gonorrhea has become resistant to nearly every class of antibiotics
- Today, ceftriaxone is the only remaining, highly effective antibiotic to treat gonorrhea in the U.S.