Many patients and their families have suffered the debilitating effects of antibiotic-resistant infections. Indeed, many patients have lost their lives due to these infections. The compelling and heart-wrenching stories below engender a strong sense of urgency to address drug-resistant infections and the lack of new antibiotic development. If you would like to share your story, please contact Jennifer Morales.
Featured Patient Story
After six surgeries, a muscle flap, an orthopedic plate and four months of treatment with an experimental antibiotic for a drug-resistant infection in his leg, George Semakula has no sign of infection and is learning to walk on his own again. Read his story.
View More Patient Stories
What initially seemed to be a stomach bug for this 9 year-old turned out to be a MRSA infection that attacked her leg, lungs and heart..
A seemingly harmless ear infection turns into a life-threatening MRSA scare for a 2 ½ year old boy.
A University of Kentucky pharmacy resident student falls sick from E. coli while at his residency rotation in Maryland.
A 19-year-old college hopeful and cancer survivor dies from an antibiotic-resistant infection.
A woman from Washington with cystic fibrosis suffers years of worsening symptoms stemming from a skin infection.
After contracting an antibiotic-resistant infection, a woman from North Carolina faces surgery as a final treatment option.
In less than 24 hours, 15-month-old Simon passed away from an undiagnosed MRSA infection.
A man from Texas undergoes combination antibiotic therapy to combat an extremely antibiotic-resistant strain of Pseudomonas.
A healthy 11-year-old girl from Tucson, Ariz., who spent months in the hospital fighting several antibiotic-resistant infections and needed a lung transplant to save her life.
A 27-year-old skydiving instructor in Colorado who died from an antibiotic-resistant Enterobacter aerogenes infection.
An active, sports-driven 9-year-old boy survives a terrifying invasive infection and pneumonia caused by MRSA.
A healthy 17-year old high school honor student and swimmer from Northern New Jersey who died of an MRSA infection.
A healthy 14-month old from Santee, California who contracted MRSA and spent many harrowing weeks in the intensive care unit as doctors struggled to save his life.
An Illinois woman nearly loses her life while struggling with a recurrent and drug-resistant C. difficile infection.
Kate’s parents saved her life by bringing her into the emergency room following a staph infection.
A mom from Brooklyn dies from complications of a condition brought on by antibiotic use.
A healthy man is infected with a disruptive digestive bacterium during shoulder surgery.
Just weeks after her wedding, Tatiana Chiprez Vargas began feeling ill and was admitted to the hospital. The doctors then found out she had contracted MRSA.
An Indiana woman undergoes fecal microbiota transplant (FMT) to cure her recurring Clostridium difficile infections, saving her life.
A North Carolina woman has recurring complications from a chronic MRSA infection.
A college student from Wisconsin is diagnosed with tuberculosis and forced into isolation from his family and friends.
A 19-year-old from the Seattle area battles several NDM-1 positive antibiotic-resistant infections as he recovers from a train accident that cost him his right leg.
A healthy 12-year old athlete from Southern California who died of pneumonia caused by an MRSA infection.
A healthy and active father in Southern California whose life was torn apart by a painful and drug-resistant E. coli infection.
A Wisconsin woman nearly loses her leg, and her life, to MRSA.
A healthy 21-year old football player at Lycoming College in Williamsport, Pennsylvania who contracted MRSA and did not survive the infection.
After summiting Mt. Denali in 2013, Caroline Moore contracted a staph infection in her knee during surgery. Four years and eight surgeries later, Caroline is still awaiting a special knee replacement surgery to allow her to return to sports
A healthy 12-year-old from Texas who nearly died from an MRSA infection.