Resources from the Joint IDSA-SHEA-PIDS Task Force on Antimicrobial Stewardship
In summer 2016, the Joint IDSA-SHEA-PIDS Taskforce on Antimicrobial Stewardship fielded a survey designed to benchmark existing antimicrobial stewardship programs (ASPs). The joint task force wrote a manuscript that discusses the survey findings in greater detail; this manuscript was published in Clinical Infectious Diseases in March 2018. Future work for the joint task force will include further developing the benchmarking survey to collect more granular data in order to evolve the evaluation criteria and track the progression of ASPs annually.
Antimicrobial Stewardship Program Policy & Procedure Template
The Antimicrobial Stewardship Program (ASP) Policy and Procedure template provides language for an ASP's policy, purpose, procedure, personnel composition, ASP interventions, surveillance, and a list of suggested restricted antimicrobials. The ASP Policy and Procedure template may be revised and tailored to meet the needs of the healthcare facility of interest.
National Quality Forum: National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN) Antimicrobial Use Measure (NQF #2720) (PDF)
This measure assesses antimicrobial use in hospitals based on medication administration data that hospitals collect electronically at the point of care and report electronically to the National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN), the surveillance system used by the CDC for the monitoring of healthcare-associated infections and antimicrobial use and resistance. This provides summary results that hospital and health system antimicrobial stewardship programs can use to quantitatively evaluate and improve antibiotic prescribing.
- CDC: Core Elements of Hospital Antibiotic Stewardship Programs (PDF)
- Checklist (PDF)
- Appendix A: Policy and Practice Actions to Improve Antibiotic Use (PDF)CDC: The Core Elements of Antibiotic Stewardship for Nursing Homes (PDF)
- Clinician Checklist (PDF)
- Facility Checklist (PDF)
- Appendix A: Supplemental Evidence Supporting Outpatient Stewardship (PDF)CDC: The Core Elements of Outpatient Antibiotic Stewardship (PDF)
- The Joint Commission: R3 Report -- New Antimicrobial Stewardship Standard
- CDC: Antibiotic Stewardship Driver Diagram and Change Package (PDF)
- IDSA/SHEA Guideline: Implementing an Antibiotic Stewardship Program
- UW Medicine Antimicrobial Stewardship Training Module
- The Nebraska Medical Center: Antimicrobial Stewardship Programs in Long-term Care Facilities (Restricted Antimicrobial Lists, Clinical Pathways & Order Sets, Microbiology Information, and Other Educational Material)
- University of Pennsylvania Health System: Clinical Microbiology Laboratory Information and Non-UPHS Guidelines for Antimicrobial Therapy
- The Pew Charitable Trusts: A Path to Better Antibiotic Stewardship in Inpatient Settings (PDF)
- University of California, San Francisco: Infectious Diseases Management Program
- OFID: Outpatient Antibiotic Prescribing Among United States Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants
- AHRQ Innovations Exchange: Telemedicine-Based Antimicrobial Stewardship Program
- Public Health Ontario: Antimicrobial Stewardship
- Becker's Hospital Review: Implementing a Successful Antibiotic Stewardship Program: 5 Thoughts from Infection Control Expert Dr. Ed Septimus